Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A rough transition

It is good to be home but unfortunately we have had a bit of a rough time once we got home. Our plane ride was long but went well. Sophia only had two dirty diapers on the entire thirty hour trip home. We were well prepared and have become experts at changing diapers in inconvenient places at inconvenient times. Sophia, Katie and Anne slept most of the trip home. Steve wasn’t so lucky.

Steve’s parents and grandmother met us at the airport. Susan was also there to take pictures of the homecoming. (Thank you, Susan) Everyone was very excited to see Sophia. We can’t wait to share more memories with Sophia and our parents.

We got home to very excited pets. Kaegogi, our dog, was very excited to see us but wasn’t so sure about Sophia. She does not like it at all when she cries. Kaegogi avoided us for the first two days. She has finally forgiven us and seems to be enjoying the baby, especially when Sophia feeds her. The cats have been very lovey. Gir and Noelle have let Sophia pet them and don’t seem to mind when she pulls a fist full of fur from their backs. Saturday Sophia was sleeping on the couch. Gir cuddled up right next to her and slept with her. It was so cute.

Sophia went to the doctor on Friday. Her bronchitis is gone. The Chinese medicine worked wonders. She still has a cold and cough but hasn’t been running a fever. We are still having trouble in the GI department. We are awaiting some test results to see what is going on. We are not sure if it is a parasite or a viral infection.

Steve has been very sick since Sunday. He has been running a high fever and feels like he has the flu. He hasn’t been this sick in years. Anne was very ill with a GI thing for 24 hours on Monday but is feeling much better today.

Anne’s mother, Grandma Barbara, came down to visit for the weekend. Her friend Auntie Pat came down with her. It was so nice to have Grandma meet Sophia on her first full day home. Sophia did wonderfully with both Grandma and Auntie Pat on Friday. But she had a rough day on Saturday. She was very cranky all day and only wanted to be held by mama. She is not at all on our time schedule. She is taking long naps during the day and waking up at 3:00 AM. There are several other babies from our travel group who are also waking up at this magical hour. We have been too sick to try to adjust her schedule but today is the day. We are waking her up from her naps and getting her outside in the sunlight more. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can work this out.

We want to thank all our friends and family who have helped out. Thank you, Mom Braunfor stocking our refrigerator before we got home. Thank you, Mom Acampora and Auntie Pat for taking the trip down to visit us. Thank you, Andrea C, for bringing by dinner when we were too exhausted to cook. Thank you, Abbie, for bringing by some groceries when we were too sick to go out. Thanks to all those who have offered to help out. We will be taking you up on your offers when we need it.

We will try to update this blog weekly to share in Sophia’s adjustment and milestones so check back every now and then.

No comments: